The Association of Fishers and Lake Users of Uganda (AFALU)
is a non government organization formed in 2002 by fishermen with a common objective/goal. AFALU is an umbrella organization for all fishermen, fish dealers/ traders and fish input dealers in Uganda. It’s an association formed by fishermen to promote the wellbeing of the local fisherman through promoting sustainable fishing practices.
To protect the Lakes and rivers from over exploitation through illegal fishing and trading in immature fish, the association engages in;.
- Sensitization of fisher folks about the dangers of using illegal fishing gears that catch immature fish
- We work with other technical people to regulate illegal fishing
- We sensitize fisher folks about the dangers of trading in immature fish
- We work with experts/resource persons to sensitize the fisher folks about saving/ investing in other businesses for them to have alternative incomes
- Working in collaboration with health care provider, we sensitize fisher folks about HIV/AIDS and other health services
We are guided by the following core aims and objectives in all our operations and dealings with our stakeholders:
- To unite and harness all fishermen/women, establish one common front and forum for all fishing related associations and act as a single representative organ for the needs, requirements and proposals of fishermen/women amongst themselves, the government and other organizations.
- To persuade, lobby and encourage government to formulate a marine exploitation policy that is conducive to fishermen/women and to the fishing related business society which is environment friendly.
- To develop modern fishing methods for better productivity as well as cooperating with government to control and eliminate illegal fishing on the lakes.
- In conjunction with government, to promote clear fishing laws and regulations, security on lakes and water bodies, marketing channels and market information of fishing products
- To promote the social-economic welfare of fishermen/women and individuals and entities engaged in fishing related industry
- To do any other lawful activity aimed at promoting the political, social and economic well being of members of the association and the fishing community in general.